- 900g carrots, peeled and quartered lengthways
- 6 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 400g cans of brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- Bunch of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Bunch of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Flaked sea salt and black pepper
For the dressing
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 4 teaspoons capers, drained
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of flaked sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 245 degrees celcius. Add the carrots and cumin seeds to a roasting tin and drizzle over the 2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil. Roast on top shelf of oven for 15 minutes, then brush with the maple syrup and cook for a further 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and add the garlic and red onion. Cook for a few minutes until softened and then add the lentils. Leave on the heat while stirring for a couple of minutes, then pour mixture into a large serving bowl.
Stir dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
Add the roasted carrots, coriander and mint to the lentils and toss together. Season well, then drizzle over the salad dressing. Finish with extra herbs and more black pepper.
Recipe adapted by Nadia