This Pitta Bread Salad is the absolute definitive version after years of experimentation. It is also TOP SECRET. In the spirit of sustainability, please try to use locally grown produce, and look for loose vegetables rather than the pre-packaged ones.
Ingredients (serves 4 as a meal or 6 as a side)
- 4 large pitta breads, toasted until crispy and divided into pieces roughly 3cm squared in size.
- 3 chopped medium sized tomatoes
- 1/2 a medium cucumber, thinly sliced and then chopped into quarters
- 1 orange or yellow pepper, thinly sliced and then chopped
- 1/2 a red onion, thinly sliced
- a bunch of fresh coriander or parsley, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed with 2 tsp salt in a mortar and pestle
- 3 T (heaped) of dried mint
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 3 T olive oil
- lots of freshly ground black pepper
First of all, prepare the first 6 ingredients and combine in a large salad bowl, along with the dried mint. Then to make the dressing, crush the garlic with the salt in a mortar and pestle, adding the lemon juice, olive oil and freshly ground pepper. Mix well and pour over the salad ingredients 5 minutes before serving. (You want enough time for the pitta bread to absorb the dressing, but not so much that it ends up soggy).
Recipe by Nadia