Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3-4 teaspoons Thai curry paste – red or green, as you prefer (vegan)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 400ml can of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 lemongrass stalk – take off the outer bark, then split and bruise the stalk with a rolling pin
- courgettes, mushrooms, peppers, mangetout and/or beansprouts, roughly chopped
- a good handful of fresh basil or coriander, torn into small pieces
- basmati and/or wild rice
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the curry paste and ginger and cook gently for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add the coconut milk, incorporating it well with the paste, then add the lime zest and bruised lemongrass.
- Reduce the heat to a very gentle simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add any courgettes, mushrooms and mangetout and cook gently for about 5 minutes, until they are thoroughly heated through. Add any peppers and beansprouts for the last couple of minutes cooking time.
- Remove the lemongrass stalk and stir in the lime juice.
- Serve with the basil or coriander scattered on top and accompanied by rice – it’s good with a half-and-half mix of basmati and wild rice.
Recipe contributed by Hilary from The Thrifty Cookbook by Kate Coluhoun