The Lancaster and Gurney Court Roads Group are in the process of planning their new Bat Corridor project.
10 Tips for making your garden more bat friendly:
- Grow insect friendly flowers. (Go to our Pollinator Highway page to down-load our pollinator-friendly plant lists).
- Dig a pond or add a bird bath
- Let your grass grow long to provide food and habitat for insect larvae (caterpillars also love plants such as nettles, dandelions and birds-foot trefoil, all of which grow in meadow land)
- Put up a bat box
- Create linear features (our railway cutting is the perfect bat run!)
- Reduce or remove artificial lighting – this disorientates bats
- Keep cats indoors at night
- Compost your waste
- Make a log pile
- Don’t use pesticides
I found these tips in Kate Bradbury’s excellent book, Wildlife Gardening.